Friday, September 07, 2007

For a Few Dollars More

Per qualche dollaro in più (1965)
Staring: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Gian Maria Volontè, Mara Krupp.
Director: Sergio Leone.


Clint Eastwood returns in "For A Few Dollars More" as the Man With No Name. Apparently since the last film he's picked a profession: Bounty Hunting.

Lee Van Cleef plays Colonel Mortimer, another bounty hunter. The film begins with a fantastic scene where Cleef enters a town to take care of a unwanted menace to the town. Personally this scene sets the entire tone of the film and got me hooked instantly.

I don't find this as impressive as A Fistful of Dollars, and I don't find it half as amazing as The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Never-the-less I do enjoy this film as one of the better examples of a western. Again this wasn't even done by Americans, but Italians working in Spain. To be honest I was always amazed at how realistic (or perhaps "rustic") everything looked in these films while so many American westerns which came out at the same time felt so unbelievable and, well phony.

Perhaps the only revelation of the film that I didn't buy was one of the most important moments. You'll know what I'm talking about once you've seen the film. Other than that, both Eastwood and Cleef play excellent roles in this sometimes forgotten film.

***½/*****

No comments: