Saturday, November 21, 2009

What a weekend for Beer!

Well the weekend was quite an epic experience.

Friday night was kicked off at 9:00 with me headed off to my friend Seth's place for a large scale beer tasting. At least 15 people were there off and on throughout the night, and everyone appeared to bring beer, none the same if I recall (aside from my 2004 Old Guardian).

The night went on, and sure enough the next thing we knew 7 hours had passed and it was 4 am. Highlights of that night were the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a wonderful beer which currently ranks my favorite new beer I've consumed in 2009. Comparing the 2009 and 2004 versions of the Stone Old Guardian was a treat. The 2004 had mellowed and the 2009 had a strong, sharp hop kick to it as well as more notable alcohol characteristics. By consensus of the group, the Breckenridge 471 Small Batch Mighty Brown was the worst beer of the night, however it may have been an infected bottle.


Saturday night started itself off at 6:00 when I arrived at the wonderful, but always crowded, Churchkey in Washington DC. I'm not normally a fan of going to bars alone with the intent to drink, but I had to, I just had to.

The new Dogfish Head beer,Black Thai, was there. And the man himself, Sam Calagione was going to be there to tap it. I couldn't pass that up. Aside from the Black Thai, I consumed the oh-so wonderful, Olivers Merry Ole Ale, from Baltimore's Pratt Street Ale House and the quite interesting sour Magic Hat Odd Notion.

No comments: