Sunday, February 27, 2011

The 83rd Academy Awards: Chris' Review

My Guesses (winners in bold):

Best Picture - The King's Speech
Best Director - David Fincher (The Social Network)
Best Actor - Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
Best Actress - Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale (The Fighter)
Best Supporting Actress - Helena Bonham Carter (The King's Speech)
Best Original Screenplay - The King's Speech
Best Adapted Screenplay - The Social Network

Best Animated Feature - Toy Story 3
Best Art Direction - Inception
Best Cinematography - Inception
Best Costume Design - The King's Speech
Best Original Score - Inception
Best Visual Effects - Inception
Best Sound Editing - TRON: Legacy
Best Sound Mixing - Inception

UPDATE: For the categories I ended up choosing, I did pretty good. Two of my choices I got wrong would have been correct if I had gone with my gut and chose Inception winning Best Sound Editing over TRON and if I had not gone with my gut when I chose David Fincher to pull an upset over Tom Hooper for best Director.

Well, what started off well kind of crashed and burned. The best moments between the hosts James Franco and Anne Hathaway were in the pre-taped montage at the start of the show. Franco looked exhausted at best and disinterested at worst. His best contributions were his tweets, which weren't even freaking integrated into the program. Want to get "youth" to watch, focus on the social aspect. Tweet, Facebook, come on people. Reach out the the audience and ask them to tweet with a hash tag such as #Oscar83 or #Oscar2011 - get them tweeting, get them watching so they can tweet, and so on.

Aside from that, it was pretty by-the-numbers. I now have some Oscar winning films to watch.

No comments: