Saturday, September 22, 2007

Hellboy

2004
Staring: Ron Perlman, John Hurt, Selma Blair, Rupert Evans, Jeffrey Tambor, Doug Jones, Karel Roden
Director: Guillermo del Toro


I feel like a complete and utter idiot.

So I did my top 10 comic book films a while back and completely missed this one. To be honest the reason why this film seems to always be forgotten by not just me, but by many, is due to the subtle nature of the entire thing.

It stars long time actors and a fantastic array of supporting cast, but fails to garner the notice of the sector of the entertainment world that focuses on "star-power" (also known as "The movie could be crap but I'll go see it because [fill in Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, what-have-you] was in the film. It also doesn't help that the film's sequel seems to be forever in development hell, but that it seems to have finally begun and that we'll see a sequel in '08. Only 4 years in-between films...

*** 1/2 /*****

No comments: