Saturday, December 19, 2009

12 Days of Christmas: Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

Well, I remember my first reactions of this film. While my enthusiasm has diminished quite a deal since the film was first released, I still find myself quite happy with the end results.

I still feel that this film was one of the few gems of 2005. Not to pass over the many fine films that came out this year, but this is one of the few films that I had really been looking forward to that year. I was skeptical at first, wondering if they could actually do the book justice, much like I was skeptical about how well they could do Lord of the Rings justice.

Then I saw the first trailer. I was sold right then and there. It looked the production crew honestly know the source material and what they were doing. I was completely amazed at the entire thing.

The story begins with the opens up with the Pevensie children (Lucy, Edmund, Peter, and Susan) going to the home of Professor Kirke, who lives in the country. It's World War II and the Germans are bombing London, so it's safer to get those children out of the city. One day they are playing hide-and-seek, Lucy comes across a wardrobe and enters. She's entered an entirely new world! No one believes her until they enter as well.

They meet some of the creatures that reside in the magical land, notably the Beaver family. By the way, they look amazingly done in the film. The White Witch is the ruler of this land, a land where it's always Winter and never Christmas. How horrible is that thought? Well they are perused, as the Sons and Adam and the Daughters of Eve (humans) are not welcome in this land.

Aslan, a mysterious Lion (voiced by Liam Neeson) is returning to the land, and the spell that the Witch has placed over the land is beginning to break. Time to rally the troops. Now, in the book they don't dwell too much on the actual battle, but in our age, it would be a major disapointment to not expand and show whats going on, so it looks like we're gonna be given a fantastic battle. A lot of other stuff goes on, but I'm not gonna discuss that in here because, well you need to go see the film.

This is the first story of seven in the Chronicles of Narnia, and as it's looking at the moment, probably the first of three films that will make it to the big screen.

I was in college when the film came out, and had to drag along one of my good friends to the film. Well, he wasn't a real big fan of the movie, but I loved it. Prince Caspian was strong in may respects, but doesn't have the same *feel* that I got when watching this film. Fox Studios picked up Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which will be out December 10th.

**** out of *****

No comments: