Friday, October 16, 2009

31 days of Halloween: Identity

Identity is a 2003 horror film.

A movie I just picked up at a 4 for $20 deal from Blockbuster one day, I wasn't sure what to make of Identity. I hadn't heard anything about it, which can either be a bad thing or a blessing in disguise. After watching it, I was happy I had seen it.

The film stars a vast array of well known actors including John Cusack, Ray Liotta ,Amanda Peet, Alfred Molina, Clea DuVall, John C. McGinley, Jake Busey, Rebecca De Mornay, and Carmen Argenziano.

The film builds a unique, dark and dreary universe of characters, and sets up a great little "who done it" situation at a motel in the middle of nowhere. At times I am somewhat undecided about twists in films, and even more so when the twist is as huge as the one presented in this film. It's earth shattering.

In some ways the film is taken off in a new direction, one that makes sense and creates an entirely different dynamic. In other respects it might come off a little absurd, far beyond something logically expected in a film. This appears to be the major point of contention with many of the viewers. However, I think the end redeemed itself from any issues the "twist" injected into the film.

*** out of *****

No comments: