Friday, May 25, 2007

Heroes Season 1 Review

Staring: Hayden Panettiere, Milo Ventimiglia, Masi Oka, Adrian Pasdar, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Zachary Quinto, Jack Coleman, Greg Grunberg, James Kyson Lee

I'll get back to the comic book ones - don't worry...

Oh the Heroes phenomenon. How it swept the country. Unfortunate for me it was up against 24 this Winter and Spring. Thankfully I’m good at multitasking.

Overall the plot was well constructed. The main story was very layered and had many many levels of plotting that actually melded together like few other shows could possibly do.

The main storylines have to do with Claire and Peter Petrelli. Their two stories make up the central storyline for the entire season. Other major storylines center on Dr. Suresh and his search for what makes these people the way they are. Minor storylines involve Matt Parkman, a police officer who can read minds.

What really sold the show for me, and I think a lot of people, was the character of Hiro. He might be the archetype “nerd” who strives for and ends up being a hero. Masi Oka’s portrayal of Hiro is really what kept me watching those first few episodes. Without his enthusiasm I don’t think I could have made it through the muddling, slightly boring and long winded exposition in the first two episodes or so.

However, there were many spots that I felt were pretty poorly plotted (how’s that for alliteration?). The Niki/Jessica-DL-Micca storyline could have been condensed into the second half of the season. I stated time and time again from the start of the show that their storyline was nothing but filler. That was almost completely true until the last 5 or so episodes. Aside from topical, minor instances where the other characters crossed paths with them all they did was take up about 15 minutes of the show’s time. Their plight never was very interesting or disheartening – perhaps either due to the acting or writing (I haven’t decided yet).

Next season is seriously the make or break point of the series - anyone who saw the last scene would know what I'm talking about. I'm hoping for the best.

Verdict: ****/*****

No comments: